Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What differentiates Harris Institute from other schools?
1. Harris Institute is the only post secondary school in North America to have achieved a 100% Graduate Employment Rate, a 100% Graduate Satisfaction Rate and 5 annual 0% Student Loan Default Rates. Source: Ontario Ministry of Colleges and Universities/ Forum Research / OSAP.
2. Harris is the only school with graduates who have won all of the major music, film and television awards– Grammy, Emmy, JUNO, Oscar and Canadian Screen Awards. Harris Alumni won or were nominated for 247 awards in the last 2 years.
Alumni won ten 2017 JUNO Awards. CMW Media Release Click Here.
3. The faculty are active industry leaders and over 50% have won awards for what they teach. Harris faculty won or were nominated for 32 awards in the last 2 years.
4. The College ranked best private school for a 7th consecutive year in the 2019 ‘Media Arts Education Report‘ and is the only school featured in both Billboard Magazine’s ‘Top 11 Schools’ and Mix Magazine’s ‘Audio Education’s Finest’.
5. Due to an unprecedented partnership with University of the West of Scotland (UWS), Harris is the only college where graduates are eligible for full scholarships to earn BA and B.Sc. Degrees in 8 months. Graduates of APP + AMP (5 terms- 20 months) are eligible to also earn Master’s Degrees at UWS with partial scholarships in a total of 32 months.
6. Harris Institute is one of the only post-secondary schools in North America to have achieved five 0% ‘Default Rates’. The Arts Management Program has achieved nine 0% Default Rates and the Audio Production Program has achieved seven.
7. On November 9, 2015, Harris Institute was the first post secondary school to introduce a comprehensive ‘Political Correctness Policy’ ensuring free speech and the open exchange of ideas. For media release click here.
8. Harris Institute has created and delivered innovative educational programs:
a) Six annual ‘Peace & Reconciliation’ programs for young adults from conflicted areas in the North and South of Ireland funded by the International Fund for Ireland.
b) An experimental program with the Moscow International Film School and the Gulf Islands Film & Television School for students from Siberia and the Salmon Arm Reserve in BC.
c) The Professional Development Program for mid level music industry professionals funded by Ontario’s Ministry of Culture and the Ontario Media Development Corporation (OMDC).
d) Unprecedented partnerships offering advanced credentials with University of the West of Scotland and Edinburgh Napier University.
e) Certified Pro Tools courses with Nashville’s ProMedia Training.
9. Over 70% of Harris students have previous post secondary education. The average age of students is 24.
10. International students have come to Harris Institute from 142 countries since 1989. In 2017 International students came from nine States and 19 countries including Japan, France, England, Bermuda, Korea, Tanzania, Cuba, Scotland, Spain, Bahamas, Brazil, Bangladesh, Mexico, Iran, India, Jordan, Colombia, China, Nigeria, and US states Ohio, Michigan, Iowa, New Jersey, Florida, Tennessee, Maryland, California and Wisconsin.
11. Harris Institute combines the skills development approach of a college program with the comprehensive approach of a Master’s Degree.
Q: How does the Application process work?
A: Upon receipt of a completed and signed application, which includes a cover letter, current resume, two (2) letters of reference and copies of academic transcripts, the applicant will be contacted to schedule an in-person interview with a Program Director. Applicants from out-of-region, including from other provinces and countries, will be sent a detailed questionnaire to be completed and returned within five (5) days.
Q: What type of Reference Letters are required?
A: Two letters that demonstrate the applicant’s longstanding interest in the field of study are preferred.
Q: When is the Application deadline?
A: Applications are accepted up to 2 weeks prior to a term start if space permits.
Q: Do I require a High School Diploma to be accepted?
A: Harris Institute only accepts those with an Ontario Secondary School Diploma OSSD, or its equivalent: General Education Diploma GED.
Q: If I apply to OSAP, how much funding can I expect?
A: The maximum loan for a single student with no dependents is $17, 200. We recommend you investigate ‘Student Credit Lines’ at Canadian chartered banks. The rates and conditions are comparable.